Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 7, 2009

My first real outing

On Friday I asked my doctor if it would be okay for me to go to Babies R'us or Target for a short outing as long as I was in a wheelchair and not on my feet. I hadn't been anyplace besides Dr appointments and my house in 40 days and I thought it was a reasonable request. He agreed and said that my mental health was just as important as my physical health and if that would help me survive bed rest and relieve anxiety, he saw no problem with a shopping trip (within reason and as long as I wasn't walking).

I've been living in pajamas and tee shirts so I decided to get gussied up for my special outing on Saturday. This is as good as it gets when you are 30 1/2 weeks pregnant with triplets...Rich was wearing a shirt that said, "The Hottest Half." It really wasn't a joke about me, it was a half marathon tee-shirt but I thought it was pretty humorous given my swollen enlarged state.

My mom was here so the three of us decided to pick up a few things that we would need in the first few weeks like oh, say bedding and diapers and bouncy seats. It was perfect timing because I've been pretending that we still have time to get all this and I'll be able to just stop and pick it all up on my way home from the hospital. Yeah, right. I was excited that we could finally park in the special parking spaces at the store which I was hesitant to do before because I didn't look pregnant. I dare anyone to hassle me now.

My mom tried to push me in the wheelchair at the store and then made Rich do it because I was so heavy. Haha. It seemed that everything we tried to buy they were out of which really made me mad. Rich tried to make me feel better by pushing me backwards and turning me in circles in middle of the store. The fact they didn't have the big items we were looking for turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we were able to find them online for less money, free shipping and no tax. Take that Babies R'Us. But we did get sheets, mattress pads and our first diapers. THANKS MILLIE!!!!!

Since our first stop was cut short we decided to make a quick trip to Target and pick up a few more things. Target had a motorized wheelchair which prevented me from getting left behind when Rich and my mom were looking and things and would forget about me but it also caused a few displays to get knocked down. I wasn't great at backing up but I liked the "beep, beep, beep" sound it made when did.

My mom was able to help us prioritize the items we need and then wash it all and organize it once we got it home. She headed back to Wisconsin that afternoon but now I feel more prepared to bring babies into the house. But I'm still holding out for a July delivery.

I was wearing flip-flops during our outing and by the time we were done I was lucky to even get those off my feet because my feet and ankles were so swollen. So I rested with my feet up before heading back to the hospital for another steroid shot late in the afternoon (and another wheelchair ride!) They had a little better luck this time with finding all the heartbeats but the whole process is still pretty humorous. I had 4 monitors on my belly- one for each baby and one to monitor contractions. All the heart beats were excellent and NO contractions even after all my activity in the past 2 days which was fantastic.

We also stopped by the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for a tour which we were unable to visit during our multiples class. One of nurses showed us the set up in a typical room and just provided us with some general information about what kind of care they get, hours, visitors and so forth. Hopefully our little pumpkins won't be there long, if at all, but it was good just to at least see it.

I'm just going to apologize in advance right now to anyone I may offend with being a maniac about visiting the babies, scrubbing your hands, touching the babies, putting on gowns, washing/SCRUBBING your hands, interrogations about recent sniffles/coughs or if you have been around someone with a cold and any other possible exposure to unnecessary germs. And that is just a list of things I can think of at this very minute.

Today I'm just resting and trying to get the swelling in my feet to down after my busy few days. Unfortunately Rich doesn't get to rest because has been a busy little beaver grocery shopping, doing laundry, and yard work and that was all before 11 this morning. Right now he at the store to buy me XXL men's white tee shirts. I think I've grown out of everything else in my closet and his. Hopefully he will be able to go a bike ride or run this afternoon if I don't run him ragged before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment