Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 28, 2009

NO GESTATIONAL DIABETES!!!!

The news keeps getting better and better. I just talked to the nurse at my OB's office and she said all of my lab work came back normal. In fact, my OB wrote "AWESOME!" on the lab results because she was so surprised. Women pregnant with multiples are 2 to 3 times more likely to develop gestational diabetes which is why it was such a surprise when my blood sugar came back normal after the glucose tolerance test. The rest of the labs looked good also so for now I don't need to worry about some of the things that are common in high order multiple pregnancies such as anemia and liver problems.

They are also watching me closely for signs of pregnancy induced high blood pressure- also called preeclampsia. In singleton pregnancies, 1 in 20 women will develop this but with multiples, my chances are 1 in 5 of developing preeclampsia. Right now my blood pressure is 112/60 which is actually much higher than my non-pregnant baseline but within normal limits.

I'm starting to go the OB or perinatologist on a weekly basis so I can continued to be monitored for all of these potential complications. It was funny, my OB thought I would be upset that I had to come in so often but I'm looking forward to the weekly reassurance that what I'm doing is actually paying off. Plus, it is the only way I'm allowed out of the house and I always make some sort of stop at a drive-thru on my way home. I'm a total tattletale (right Sarah and Isaac?) and I tattled on myself and told my OB that I go through drive-thrus rather than go straight home to bed after my appointments and she thought that was an excellent idea even giving me suggestions on what she would eat if she was on a high calorie diet. My next appointment is a week from tomorrow (Friday) when I see both the perinatologist and the cardiologist and I'm already planning where I'm stopping with my limited approved freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment