Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, January 29, 2010

Beckett Gets Banded


So today was the day. Beckett got his cranial band, or helmet as we call it.
As I've talked about before, Beckett has something called plagiocephaly where there is flattening on one side of the skull. This can be caused by a number of things such as torticollis (which he has) and crowding of the baby in uterus. It is a miracle only one of my babies needed the helmet.
First of all, let me say that this is probably going to be harder on me than on Beckett. When they walked in with the helmet, I felt sick. I feel just terrible that he has to wear it and I'm just sick that he might be uncomfortable.
But, the first time they put it on, he didn't even make a peep. Just kept playing with his teething rattle. They had to keep taking it off and on to cut away at areas that were rubbing and by the end, I think he figured out that it was not so much fun.
The good news is that we slowly increase the number of hours he wears it from 1 hour off, 1 hour on to eventually 23 hours on and 1 hour off for his bath and so I can clean the helmet. Part of the reasoning for that is so that is to give his body time to figure out how to change his thermoregulation. I don't know if I said that right but basically, the helmet is hot and it introducing it slowly gives his body time to figure out how to deal with that. Just 1 hour and his head is dripping with sweat. By the time we get to 23 hours, I can just imagine the little boy head stink.
Unfortunately, he sweats like his daddy.

So here is the close up of my brave little boy.


Okay so a comment about 2 things. First of all, I think I had the helmet on a little sideways because it is pushing down on his eye and when I took it off he had a big red mark on his forehead. I'll do better tomorrow.
Secondly, I ordered the helmet in navy blue. But, of course to add insult to injury to our little Beckett, the helmet looks purple in person. Thank goodness it photographs blue. Rich was not happy, especially since I said I was now going to have to dress him to match his helmet. Rich thinks that means purple outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment