Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, December 20, 2009

One Year Ago

One year ago yesterday, we found out that we were having multiples. I had known that I was pregnant since the beginning of the month and I suspected multiples because my HCG levels were through the roof. But, I never suspected what I was about to find out that morning at the doctors office.

I was scheduled to leave that Friday afternoon for Milwaukee for the holidays. Rich was at work and was going to spend the weekend in Dallas and then join me on Tuesday in Wisconsin. I was having some pain and could not believe that I was showing already.
I'm totally serious. I thought it was really strange that I looked pregnant at 6 weeks.
I called my fertility doctor and they had me come in for a sonogram.

The sonographer said, "Well, you have 4 heartbeats."
Yes that is right, she said 4.

I had this strange calm and panic at the same time. I don't know the exact words but I said something inappropriate like, "That's nice."

When I left the sonography room, the word must have spread because all the staff were pretending not to look at me and smiling.

I met with my doctor and he said that it was so early that really anything could happen at this point but I should be prepared for the possibility of losing 1, 2, 3, or all 4. Or that I would be able to carry all 4 but it was too early to tell. But in the meantime, no traveling or strenuous activity. (I did talk him into allowing me to go to WI for the holidays but I had to cancel my trip to Budapest a month later.)

For some reason, I've always thought that I was going to have twins, but I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be more. I was in total shock.

Hmmm, I wasn't going to see Rich for 5 days so I was going to have to tell him over the phone before I got on the plane. I called him at work and tried to warn him to get to a private place but I guess he didn't believe me because he turned white and almost passed out in front of a few people.

Turns out there was a big snowstorm in the Midwest, my flight was cancelled and I couldn't get on another one for 2 days so Rich and I got to spend the weekend together which was a blessing in disguise.

We didn't tell anyone until I think 6 weeks later. How we managed to keep a secret that whole time, I'll never know. I'm normally a tattletale blabbermouth but this secret was a good one for just us to keep for a while. It's actually a lot of fun to have a really juicy secret.

At 9 weeks, we lost the 4th baby. I knew that the first 12 weeks are very dicey and even more so with high order multiples so those first 12 weeks I was just happy to be pregnant and willing to accept what would happen. You never know what fate has in store for you. For us, it was 3 healthy beautiful babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment