Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

We're leaving on a jet plane

We did it, it's over. It took several months of planning, several too real nightmares and one very courageous brother but we did it. We took the triplets on their first plane trip to Washington DC over the weekend for my cousin Melly's wedding. It was worth every second of anxiety and planning to be able to see so many family and friends and be present for such a beautiful ceremony and truly loving couple. Congrats to the new Mr. & Mrs. Pontz!

Rich and I met in Washington DC and we lived there for several years so it was like bringing our babies to our first home. Except this time our home was a suite at the W filled with cribs rather than our tiny condo with the puffy fruit basket wallpaper in the kitchen and Rich's bike hanging in the bedroom. What memories of a simpler time.

Back to reality. We got the kids up at 5:00 am Friday morning, fed and changed them and put them in the car for our 7:00 am flight. My brother was brave enough to volunteer to come with us so our adult to infant ratio was 1:1. How many 28 year-old brothers would willingly fly with an 11 month-old in their lap? He is the best. We had originally booked seats next to each other all in the same row but once we checked in that plan was foiled. There are only 3 oxygen masks for every 2 seats so only 1 infant can be in each row. We ended up all in aisle seats which meant that each of us would be seated next to potentially a not so thrilled person.

Getting through security with pre-mixed formula, 2 computers, 3 car seats, 3 diapers bags and the longest stroller ever could have been a nightmare but it turned out to be a breeze. I'm sure it didn't look easy and I think there were lots of irritated people behind us, but it went so much smoother than I ever imagined.

We were most concerned about Beckett being fussy but Rich breastfeed him sleep...

Since Isaac and I didn't attempt Rich's method, we had a little harder time with the girls. We would switch off Addy and Eloise when they would get fussy and distract, distract, distract with contents of 3 diapers bags of toys, books and food.

Addy loves to be upside down these days and Uncle Isaac was only too happy to indulge her every whim.

Apple juice was just one of the many distractions which was great ear popping during take off and landing (ear popping)...

With about an hour left Eloise started to lose it. Luckily, we had the best flight attendant, Babs, and she took the little doll walking up and down the aisle. Just for reference, I normally don't hand my children off to total strangers but it wasn't like she could go anywhere. Best decision ever. She brought Eloise back sleeping.

She then took Addy for a walk and brought her back sleeping as well.

Anyone who has flown into National Airport knows how awesome the approach can be. You can see all monuments, the Capital, White House and I can usually pick out the houses where I used to live. Love that city. The kids were unbelievable on the flight and I think we were all in awe of how easy the flight was but still dreading the return.

When most people arrive to their final destination, they can usually jump in a cab. Not us. Look at all of our stuff.

We needed a XL SUV and we only fit in that with some fancy maneuvering.

We were only there for 3 night and 4 days, what could I possibly have packed?
Let's see..
15 bottles
Bottle washing equipment (dish soap, bottle brush)
Dish towels
Sippy cups
Bowls for eating real food
Baby Food
White noise machine
Clothes and pajamas for 4 days plus extra for accidents
Baby blankets- the hotel could not guarantee 3 cribs
Disposable bibs
5 boxes of their favorite rice crackers
and the list goes on and on...

I'll continue with the rest of this adventure tomorrow but I'm still mentally recovering. And still unpacking.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! So impressive. I'm SO glad the trip went well. I don't know why you ever doubted it!